6 Different Types of Chiropractic Adjustment Methods
Like with different areas of healthcare, there is no one-fits-all approach to all health issues. Depending on the particular ailment, multiple approaches can help improve your health status. The same applied to chiropractic care.
Local chiropractors in Vancouver employ different strategies and techniques to improve the functionality of your body. It usually depends on the area of focus, as well as the underlying cause of the problem.
What Is Chiropractic Adjustment?
It is a natural and non-invasive solution to many bodily problems that cause pain, immobility, and discomfort. It features a bunch of activities that help stretch out the body differently, to make necessary adjustments that will result in the proper alignment of your body.
Further, chiropractors make it their primary goal to ensure that the nervous system works correctly, which boosts the overall functionality of your body.
Do You Need Chiropractic Adjustment?
Almost everyone is a suitable candidate for chiropractic adjustments, including infants. However, the types of techniques and approaches used will differ from one patient to another. Some of the people who need the adjustment have any of the following problems:
- Recent physical injury
- Lower and upper back pain
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Frequent and persistent headaches
- Muscle spasms or overall weakness of the muscles
- Difficulty moving your ligaments
- Joint pains
- Any discomfort affecting either your lower or upper extremities
Types of Chiropractic Adjustment Methods
While there are many different techniques employed in chiropractic care, when it comes to adjustments, the following are commonly used in treating patients:
- Spinal manipulation – also known as manipulation therapy. It is common among physical therapists, but also chiropractors in Vancouver. It involves stretching the spine coupled with gentle thrusting motions to adjust the alignment of the spine. This technique can help relieve pressure on joints, as well as boost nerve function.
- The diversified technique – is similar to spinal manipulation, but involves applying more pressure with the thrusting motions. Thanks to the high precision of this technique, chiropractors can help achieve proper body movement and mobility. It is a very common technique among chiropractors near you, helping with spinal realignment and treating joint malfunctions.
- The Activator method – a device called the ‘Activator’ is used during this chiropractic technique. The small hand-held spring-loaded tool exerts controlled pressure on the target area of your body, with a keen focus on the vertebral segments of the spine. It is effective for treating lower back pain, as well as alleviating headaches.
- Flexion-distraction technique – a special table is employed in this technique. The table allows your spine to stretch out, which gives insight to the chiropractor on the problematic areas to address. Disc injuries like disc herniation are best treated with this technique. Chiropractors in 98662 often use this technique for patients who have recently been injured. This means that their bodies are still highly receptive to pain and sensitivity. The reason is that the method is painless and improves comfort levels of patients while adjustments continue.
- Thompson Drop-Table Technique – like with the Flexion-Distraction technique, this method uses a specially designed table. The table is padded adequately, then designed with drop mechanisms. As you lie on it, your body is dropped slightly, while your chiropractor quickly thrusts that particular part of your body. This will complete the adjustment painlessly.
- The Gonstead adjustment – this adjustment technique focuses on realigning the discs in your spine. It can be performed either when you are lying down or sitting up. This manipulation is precise and works best for the lower back or pelvis region of your body.
Which Method is Best for You?
This may not be the question you can answer alone. Usually, it depends on the kind of problem you have, and the viable adjustment techniques that can work as treatment alternatives for you. Your chiropractor will determine the most suitable adjustment technique that will help treat your problem in a few sessions. Note that not everyone should get treated by a chiropractor. This is especially the case if you have pressure-sensitive health problems that can worsen with chiropractic adjustments including high-risk pregnancies, heart problems, a stroke, cancer, to mention a few.